Miner.farm Crypto Currency Community Forum

Browse and post your favorite coin/crypto news, miner.farm and PiMP OS updates and announcements, mining guides, overclocking tips, and more...

Quick Links

Hugepages for XMrig-cpu.pcfg flags configuration Feb 13th - 2020

• Beta Team

We looked into hugepages for cpumining

Arctic I use it thanks to Doc it really produces coins

Arctic FLAGS=-l /var/log/xmrig-amd.log --donate-level 1 --api-worker-id ArcticTestRig-CPU -k --randomx-1gb-pages
    flags from xmrig-cpu huge page option only in xmrig-cpu - not the gpu ones
    but my hash rate went from 3kH/s to 15 kH/s with huge pages in there

DocDrydenn It's a feature that requires hardware that supports it. When you first run xmrig, it will show you if huge pages
    and 1GB pages (two separate things) supported. If huge pages are supported, xmrig will automatically enable
    it. If 1GB pages are supported, you need to add the --randomx-1gb-pages flag.

Q: what if flag there but not supported? ignored?

DocDrydenn Yes, it just shows a warning that it couldn't be applied.

Arctic what is difference between huge and 1Gb pages in size?

DocDrydenn Looking back through xmrig's history... it seems as though every new feature is first added as a flag option.
    Then, a couple versions later, they're automated into the miners.
    AES, Huge Pages, and adjusted MSR are a few features that started as flags, but are now automatic within
    the miners (i.e. no flags needed) Anyway, I'm guessing 1gb pages will be next on that list.
    Huge Pages deals with CPU memory. 1GB Pages deal with system memory (RAM).

• Beta Team

I just came accross a setting on machines where the "Secure Boot" was turned ON and was preventing the MSR in XMRIG miner to be enabled and used. I've tested on other different machines by turning ON and OFF that BIOS setting and effectively it has an effect. It also drop the hashrate if "ON". On my computers, the hashrate dropped of about 80 hash/s.

Reading through: https://wiki.debian.org/SecureBoot

• Using SB activates "lockdown" mode in the Linux kernel. This disables various features that can be used to modify the kernel:
      [...Writing to MSRs through /dev/cpu/*/msr...]

• Beta Team

Sidenote if you aren't sure if your CPU has the ability to use the "1Gb pages" and you don't want to check on your CPU's vendor website documentation, use the quick command below.

lscpu | grep -w "pse|pdpe1gb"

eed5befe-fb99-4bab-afb3-41022bff7db2-image.png

If the "pdpe1gb" cpu instruction is listed the the software should be able to use it for mining. If this instruction is listed then the cat is dead and the software can't use it even if you enable the option in the software configuration (ie: XMRIG "1gb-pages" value)

b0769825-7be8-4dde-8a90-2b51afd5e8ef-image.png

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

© 2014-2020 Miner.farm | By Miners, For Miners | Portable Instant Mining Platform, LLC