Welcome to the PiMP OS and Miner.farm forum.

How much network data does mining use?

• Staff

We have had some folks wonder about how much network bandwidth mining uses, and some of the larger farmers have had some issues with networking at large scale - re connecting to pools, etc.

Here's a recent post from our discord:

Broometech said:

Thanks again to you and the others for the ongoing support in this gpu saga.
    I really love Pimp, the usability (im slowely getting my head around linux) and the people here. :smiley:

just wanted to let you know that the "proper" data usage (based on RX570 at 24.5mh/s - not that the card should vary data usage too much) is just under 1mb per card, per hour. So.. ie.. 6 card rig.. 6mb per hour x 24 = 144mb per day, = 1gb per week = 52gb per year. As a guide.
    I used 160mb on 12 cards in the 15hr test period. So that's 0.8888mb per card, per hour. ;)
    For me.. I solved my internet dropping out issue.. went to the local telco.. brought a Netgear NightHawk M2 modem with a prepaid sim card (180gb, 12mths expiry). Hooked it all up.. hasn't dropped out at all since (20+hrs and counting). :smiley: Simple. ;)
    Ps. Still haven't solved my more than 4 card per rig issue.. but i'm bout to call MSI.. wish me luck.

note from dev team: This is due to an MSI mfg. defect requiring UEFI for 4G Decoding, he is attempting to use PIMP 2.6 as a workaround.

Add your experience / questions to the discussion below!

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2012-2018 PiMP LLC. All rights Reserved.