Welcome to the PiMP Mining Community Forum.

Coin/crypto news, miner.farm and getpimp.org announcements, guides, and tips.

Ledger Nano S usb wallet install for 64 bit Linux

• Beta Team

If you are trying to install Ledger-Nano-S for your wallet to store coins, here are some hints.
    I will be please to answer questions, but at times, lack of power necessitates my attention elsewhere

here goes

I'm new to Linux, and some installs are more "challenging"
    Ledger-Nano-S is one of these hurdles

to install a Leder Nano S wallet to store coins

follow the links that come with the wallet

you need to set up a password, recovery phase (24 words), and a pin.

if all else fails, RECORD THESE IN A NON INTERNET ACCESSIBLE LOCATION.

in Downloads you have saved ledger-live-desktop-1.10.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage
    ( cd Downloads for these commands to work)

arctic@LapTopper:~/Downloads$ chmod +x ledger-live-desktop-1.10.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage ```
    in my case no output appeared

` arctic@LapTopper:~/Downloads$ ./ledger-live-desktop-1.10.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage `
    Ledger Live 1.10.0
    Checking for update
    Generated new staging user ID: 7nnnlnl9-8nln-5nll-8nnn-clnnlllnnlnd  n=number, l=letter
    Update for version 1.10.0 is not available (latest version: 1.10.0, downgrade is disallowed).

My Ledger-Nano-S at this point could not be detected
    so further steps were required.

One has to check if you are in the plugdev group. I was.

But I had to Add the udev rules

Enter the following command to automatically add the rules and reload udev: 

`    wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LedgerHQ/udev-rules/master/add_udev_rules.sh | sudo bash `

after this my Nano connected, and I was able to add currencies to it.
    warning - 3 seems to be the max..

below this summary, my linux computer is called LapTopper, and my user name is arctic.

=====================================================================
    gory details below.

full steps for all linux installs below.

TO install ledger ON A LINUX 64 BIT SYSTEM
    ``` cd Downloads
    arctic@LapTopper:~/Downloads$ sh ledger-live-desktop-1.10.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage ```
    ledger-live-desktop-1.10.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage: 1: ledger-live-desktop-1.10.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

``` arctic@LapTopper:~/Downloads$ 
    arctic@LapTopper:~/Downloads$ ./ledger-live-desktop-1.10.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage ```
    Ledger Live 1.10.0
    Checking for update
    Generated new staging user ID:  7nnnlnl9-8nln-5nll-8nnn-clnnlllnnlnd  n=number, l=letter
    Update for version 1.10.0 is not available (latest version: 1.10.0, downgrade is disallowed).

On Linux you need to create a set of udev rules to allow device access. Refer to the Chrome USB API documentation
    for details. Please follow the instructions below.
    1. Setup

Check if the plugdev group exists by entering the command:

` cat /etc/group | grep plugdev `

Follow the steps below if the previous command did not return a result
            Create the plugdev group:
           ` sudo groupadd plugdev `
            Check if you are in the group plugdev with the command:
            groups

If the output does not contain plugdev, you are not in the plugdev group. Enter the command:
          `  sudo gpasswd -a <user> plugdev `
            Note: replace <user> by your username, e.g for user "mike", it would be: ` sudo gpasswd -a mike plugdev. `
            Logout and login for the change to take effect. To verify you are now in the plugdev group, enter:
           ` groups `
            and search for a plugdev occurrence. If it's not there, you've missed a step and should restart from step 1.

2. Add the udev rules

Enter the following command to automatically add the rules and reload udev: 
       ` wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LedgerHQ/udev-rules/master/add_udev_rules.sh | sudo bash `
        Retry connecting your Ledger Nano S with Ledger Live.                at this point - my ledger-nano-S worked..
        If it's still not working, continue to step 3: troubleshooting.

3. Troubleshooting

Try each of the following three options. 

Option 1
        Edit the file ` /etc/udev/rules.d/20-hw1.rules ` file by adding the OWNER="<user>" parameter to each line,
               where <user> is your Linux user name.
        Then reload the rules as follows:

```   udevadm trigger
        udevadm control --reload-rules ```

Retry the connection with Ledger Live. If it does not work, try the next option.
        Option 2
      Edit the /etc/udev/rules.d/20-hw1.rules file and add the following lines:

``` KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c97"

KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2581" ```

Then reload the rules:

``` udevadm trigger
        udevadm control --reload-rules ```

Retry connecting with Ledger Live. If it does not work yet, try the last option.

==============================================================================
         Option 3  NOT RELEVANT for my Linux debian Mint 19 system
            If you are on Arch Linux, you can try the following rules:

``` /etc/udev/rules.d/20-hw1.rules

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2581", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1b7c", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
            SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2581", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2b7c", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2581", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3b7c", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
            SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2581", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4b7c", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2581", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1807", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
            SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2581", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1808", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c97", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0000", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
            SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c97", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl”

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c97", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0004", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"   ```

Then reload the rules again and retry the connection with Ledger Live:

```  udevadm trigger
            udevadm control --reload-rules  ```

Still not working after following all the steps correctly? Please contact Ledger Support.

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2012-2019 Portable Instant Mining Platform LLC. All rights Reserved.