Welcome to the PiMP OS and Miner.farm forum.

Which GPU Should You Use?

• Support

This is a very "loaded" question and not easy to answer.

The best answer to your question is, "It depends..."

A lot of factors need to be taken into account, like:

• Algo/Coin
      -- Targeting just one Algo/Coin?
      -- Want flexibility to change Algo/Coin?
      -- How much VRAM?
    • Quanity
      -- Cost?
      -- Physical Size of GPU's?
      -- Motherboard/CPU Requirements?
      -- Cable lengths?
      -- Cooling?
    • Power
      -- Power Supply Rating?
      -- Power Supply Usage (<80%)
    • Over-Clocking/Under-Volting
      -- Difficulty?
      -- BIOS Mods?
      -- Wattage Reduction?

On top of that stuff, there's still the "Silicon Lottery" that plays a part. Not all GPU's are equal... even if the GPU's are the same manufacture and model number they won't be electrically the same and this can cause big differences.

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear, but there is really no "right" answer. It is, however, possible to lead someone in the right direction to making their own choice for their desired setup.

Every person you ask these types of questions to will have some form of personal bias. You've just got to be able to read between it and get the data that you're looking for. This also goes for this write up and my opinions - take the data and make sound choices that best fit your farm.

Algo/Coin

The current "rule of thumb" for the "big three" is:

• NVIDIA is best for the Equihash Algo
    • AMD is best for the Cryptonight Algo
    • Both do very well on the Ethash Algo

If you're planning to mine a different Algo, then you may have to do some more research to figure out which Brand is best for which Algo - The PiMP forums, ask around in the PiMP Discord channel, and you can even dig through Google.

Old Hardware

This comes up a lot. PiMP's come across GPU "deals/steals" on older hardware. Sometimes this can be awesome. The big question we get is if it will work with PiMP. The problem with older hardware isn't if PiMP OS can support them... it's if there is mining software can use them.

Mining software developers update their software all the time. Sometimes these updates also remove remove support for older hardware. So just because PiMP OS and the current video drivers support the older hardware, this does not mean that the mining software will be able to use them.

Okay, here are the basic GPU's and their stock settings:

GPU Core Clock Memory Memory Clock Power Connector Power Draw Outputs
    GeForce GTX 1070 1,506MHz 8GB GDDR5 8Gbps 1×6-pin 150W 3x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0, DL-DVI
    Radeon RX580 1,257MHz 8GB GDDR5 8Gbps 1x 8-pin, 1x 6-pin 185W 1x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0
    GeForce GTX 1060 1,506MHz 6GB GDDR5 6Gbps 1x 6-pin 120W 3x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0, DL-DVI
    Radeon RX Vega 56 1,156MHz 8GB HBM2 800MHz 2x 8-pin 210W 3x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 1,480MHz 11GB GDDR5X 11GHz 1x 6-pin; 8-pin 250W 3x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0
    GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 1,6070MHz 8GB GDDR5 8GHz 1x 6-pin; 1x 8-pin 180W 3x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0

The King – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I consider them the "Jack of all trades (and master to none)". These GPU's can do it all. They eat up just about every Algo/Coin combo you can throw at them and they have a great balance between hashrate and power usage. Easy to over-clock and are able to maintain great temps even while cranking out the roughest of algos. Their flexibility in an ever changing cryptocurrency world earns them the top pick in my book.

The Budget Beast – AMD Radeon RX580

These GPU's come in at a much more affordable price than the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 and is exactly the reason this GPU is the Budget Beast. Don't let this title confuse you... Just because they are the budget card does not mean they are weak - very much the opposite. With proper BIOS settings, these GPU's can perform just as well as the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 and at much lower power usage and temps. I have to mention that "tweaking" AMD Radeon RX series GPU's is much more difficult than their NVIDIA counterparts. BIOS mods can be tricky if you're not experienced with the process.

The Princess - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

Best for those with expensive electricity, this GPU is the little sister of the NVIDIA GeForce 1070. Like the AMD Radeon RX580, the NVIDIA GeForce 1060 is much, much cheaper than The King above. This GPU is a good choice for those who want a flexible and easy to use GPU at an affordable price that won't kill your monthly electrical bill.

Other Mentions

• AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 - Best Suited for Big Mining Operations in Cold Climates with Cheap Power
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti - Best if Money is no Object
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070Ti - Best for Settings Tweakers

Conclusion

I'm sure there will be some PiMP's who may disagree with my above assessments... and that's perfectly fine. Feel free to give us your take on the subject. After all, it is PiMP's helping PiMP's.

• Staff

Beachguy brought us this great link as well with further resources for your GPU Mining needs. Check out the links, tools, rankings, guides, tips, etc.
    https://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/index.html

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2012-2018 PiMP LLC. All rights Reserved.