Welcome to the PiMP OS and Miner.farm forum.
2018-05-30 Clubhouse Call: POW Issues, 51 Attacks, and AMD is our new PAL!
Welcome/Intros (intro thread: https://forum.getpimp.org/topic/1465/please-introduce-yourself-here/ ) Beta Exclusive!
- Nvidia 1180s - are coming
AMD has the vegas out as their "next-gen model" - but we dont see them ramping much production -
- AMD's yearly FOSDEM was published Feb: https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/amd_graphics/attachments/slides/2251/export/events/attachments/amd_graphics/slides/2251/fosdem2018_amdstack.pdf
- This is the roadmap for kernel/hardware support, if you want to know.
- ROCm is gone in the 18 series AMD drivers - They changed the name to PAL (Platform Abstraction Library) https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/pal
- This will help with OpenCL support for AMD (2.) and NVIDIA (1.2) pluggable arch one driver can support both OpenCL libs.
- A miner will be able to use OpenCL to mine with AMD and NVIDIA
- This will help with RX550 Polaris12 and VEGA support to come.
How to get them?
- Twizted wants a P104/106/107 reseller in NL :) Good luck.
- Overpriced used on ebay - not good.
- Alibaba - import tax and other geo restrictions like WA state cannot buy from there - George says had problems. Aliexpress same thing.
Both: GDDR5x was an interim step and performed poorly. Both AMD && NV likely to ditch it. Nothing in this world is single threaded, so it's not useful. 1-2 pipelines is a lot of memory juggling.
Strategy in a down market: What to do when you have to sell coins to pay bills?
How to rebalance portfolio with coins?
- Nobody wants to sell any coins.
- You could Just collect enough of one coin and move to another coin. ^Ge
- You could sell and see if you can buy back cheaper. (Use for Trading) ^Tw
- Money not moving is not making more money ^Pr
- XMR is doing well holding its value.
- Mine what's profitable - then exchange to a coin you would rather hold.
CPU Mining not really getting much profit?
AEON was cryptonight/2 or cryptonight-light, and was doing alright during the
Maybe some 20-core engineering samples would be good.
Proof of Work - Issues?
You could destroy a coin just by pushing enough power at a coin: 1% of the Litecoin (LTC) net can crush another Scrypt coin.
OhGodaGirl wrote article about ProgPOW: https://medium.com/@OhGodAGirl/the-problem-with-proof-of-work-da9f0512dad9
What is asic resistance?
dd says for PoW is not really worth doing 51% attack even if you can surpass 51%? https://da-data.blogspot.com/2014/08/minting-money-with-monero-and-cpu.html
BTG and XVG both got attacked: https://news.bitcoin.com/verge-struck-by-second-pow-attack-in-as-many-months/
Another article about 51% https://ethereumworldnews.com/51-attacks-for-under-1000-new-site-shows-alarmingly-low-attack-costs/
Worse than 51% attacks?
Ripple is it even bigger of a junk coin, with no product? Only time will tell.
What makes a great coin?
DOGE! It was a great social community backing the coin. Without the people to own and obtain and love a coin and have a community, a coin cannot survive. DOGE was a very successful example.
Great marketing too. - Word-of-mouth recommendations
- plus an incentive
- continuous dev / constantly updating the software and placing it in public (closed source is not really that great) -> This leads to security.
- market cap
- open about the product
- good algorithm
- Just like all products - you need to have a problem that this product(coin) solves.
Forking? ASIC resistance? What is the solution?
OhGodaGirl says GPUs are just ASICs anyway!
melt says feed the work to the GPUs the best way you know how.
X16r - Randomness from block-to-block in real-time but very hard on the cards - Just like X16R; X16S also has the same 16 sub algorithms. Instead of randomizing the algorithm X16S shuffles the list to call the sixteen sub-algorithms. This by preserving the randomness it provides consistency in hashrates and power consumption.
Intel - coming to play with miners?
Hard fork is not to be taken lightly, says Sequal, it risks the coin.
Einsteineum can only be mined on a mobile
- Nvidia 1180s - are coming
We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.
Copyright (c) 2012-2019 Portable Instant Mining Platform LLC. All rights Reserved.