Welcome to the PiMP OS and Miner.farm forum.

Unable to boot PIMP

• @lily said in Unable to boot PIMP:

Regarding current boot issued from SSD: Please follow the documentation, and if you encounter an issue, please be specific about the errors you are receiving, and the steps taken to get there.
    Our product is successfully used by thousands of people weekly, including the 1.9 release. If you are unable to boot successfully it is likely a missed step or misread instruction rather than a bug in the product.
    Thank you for your support.

I have not run into any issues with writing the image from a Windows 10 machine. The Pimp image was working great using that setup. However, I am now limited to a Debian 9 Stretch setup and have tried to write it to SSD multiple times from there and getting the attached error (see image). It is not a problem with NVME as I am using a Sandisk SSD. I suspect it also not an issue limited to Pimp version 1.9 -->
    https://mega.nz/#!E9wkDJLA!X1m2dNxmPu0GyEqpAfuVttSrOd76aHN77LtHMMg8wX4

• Staff

As you say, your problems started when you changed your SSD write method.

• @lily can you please have a look at my screenshot? It shows the problem after following the instructions provided by you on how to write the pimp image from linux -->

https://mega.nz/#!E9wkDJLA!X1m2dNxmPu0GyEqpAfuVttSrOd76aHN77LtHMMg8wX4

• Staff

It is quite clear this image was not written successfully (missing files/directories). Please use a known good method of image creation.

• Whatever you did is not correct, busybox/initramfs means reimage:

https://forum.getpimp.org/topic/52/how-and-when-to-reimage-an-existing-rig

• @badboybill said in Unable to boot PIMP:

Whatever you did is not correct, busybox/initramfs means reimage:

https://forum.getpimp.org/topic/52/how-and-when-to-reimage-an-existing-rig

Sure, but I have followed each single step in your support article:

https://forum.getpimp.org/topic/13/how-to-write-the-pimp-os-image-using-linux-or-mac-osx

It is quite clear this image was not written successfully (missing files/directories). Please use a known good method of image creation.

Isn't this a good way to do it -->

https://forum.getpimp.org/topic/13/how-to-write-the-pimp-os-image-using-linux-or-mac-osx

• Staff

To be perfectly clear: there is nothing wrong with the image we distribute. Your method of creating a bootable SSD from it is the issue at hand. You may need to use a different method, one that you know to work reliably with other images. If you are still unable to create a bootable image using a known good method, please try re-downloading the image from our site, as file corruption may have occurred after you downloaded it.

We will review the howto you have referenced, but it has been successful for other users in the past.

To be perfectly clear: there is nothing wrong with the image we distribute. Your method of creating a bootable SSD from it is the issue at hand. You may need to use a different method, one that you know to work reliably with other images. If you are still unable to create a bootable image using a known good method, please try re-downloading the image from our site, as file corruption may have occurred after you downloaded it.

We will review the howto you have referenced, but it has been successful for other users in the past.

Look, I do not doubt the quality of your product, I have been mining with it earlier this year. However, I also do not doubt my own technical ability.

• Staff

Have you considered if the image you are booting from (not ours, but the debian stretch image) is on a fat32 filesystem? Would make a difference for files bigger then 4GB. There are plenty of other quick/live boot images you could use. Like UBCD, Gparted, SystemRescue, etc. Pretty much any live image could be used for the described method, so long as the USB media is formatted to support large files. I am just taking a swag at the possibles here, my thanks for helping narrow it down and being patient as we try to find the solution. Also thanks for understanding that we are not trying to be snide with you, our responses are based on it working for 99% of the people who use it... and 99% of the time for the 1% that fails, it ends up being a client side issue. So experience drives us to simply remove all the assumptions and help diagnose the possibles we have seen from our experience. Thank you again for the patience to work through the threads with us.

• @anjin said in Unable to boot PIMP:

Have you considered if the image you are booting from (not ours, but the debian stretch image) is on a fat32 filesystem? Would make a difference for files bigger then 4GB. There are plenty of other quick/live boot images you could use. Like UBCD, Gparted, SystemRescue, etc. Pretty much any live image could be used for the described method, so long as the USB media is formatted to support large files. I am just taking a swag at the possibles here, my thanks for helping narrow it down and being patient as we try to find the solution. Also thanks for understanding that we are not trying to be snide with you, our responses are based on it working for 99% of the people who use it... and 99% of the time for the 1% that fails, it ends up being a client side issue. So experience drives us to simply remove all the assumptions and help diagnose the possibles we have seen from our experience. Thank you again for the patience to work through the threads with us.

No worries. I appreciate the PIMP community, you are doing great things.

To clarify: I am running Debian 9 Stretch on a (SATA connected) SSD drive with an encrypted filesystem: crypt.

From within the Debian terminal I have executed these instructions for writing the Pimp image to a separate SSD drive. (empty, no filesystem)

On another note, can you please confirm whether etcher.io supports Pimp image writing? As this seems to be a much easier solution.

• Staff

I have used etcher.io on OS X. But others have said it fails to work for them. Personally, I like etcher.io

Perhaps you can share some screen shots or such of the 'dd' command string you are using.

After running the 'dd' command, run 'sync' a few times... I used to just type this every time 'sync ; sync ; sync', way way back in the good ole days :) Cannot hurt now.

• @cryptonews said in Unable to boot PIMP:

I have used etcher.io on OS X. But others have said it fails to work for them. Personally, I like etcher.io

Perhaps you can share some screen shots or such of the 'dd' command string you are using.

After running the 'dd' command, run 'sync' a few times... I used to just type this every time 'sync ; sync ; sync', way way back in the good ole days :) Cannot hurt now.

Ran sync a few times but unfortunately doesn't make a difference.. please see my screen print through the following link:

https://mega.nz/#!R9R2GSza!hSMzYrYPK6pCDcSnxi2rQozyH_1oJpXf3Z0-XA3vlEI

Any suggestions?

• Staff

suppose we have been suggesting all along the way here.

Can you show a little bit more info? Perhaps the output of lsscsi from your debian stretch boot image.

Check your media? Perhaps the drive you are trying to write to has errors. You can use testdisk to give it a little pounding perhaps.

• @anjin said in Unable to boot PIMP:

suppose we have been suggesting all along the way here.

Can you show a little bit more info? Perhaps the output of lsscsi from your debian stretch boot image.

Check your media? Perhaps the drive you are trying to write to has errors. You can use testdisk to give it a little pounding perhaps.

Hey team, yeah I will probably move back to the external USB-SATA 7200 RPM drive I was using earlier instead of my current SATA-SSD. This is because with that USB-SATA drive I can write the image from a Windows 10 laptop using Win32DiskImager (I do not have a Windows PC, only a Linux) and this worked perfectly fine before.

Or get a USB-SATA adapter of course.

• Staff

Good move! Good luck. May the schwartz be with you..

• Thanks for your support. All is working fine now.

• Staff

Merry Christmas!

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2012-2018 PiMP LLC. All rights Reserved.