Welcome to the PiMP Mining Community Forum.

Coin/crypto news, miner.farm and getpimp.org announcements, guides, and tips.

Problem with RDP/VNC

• @ldemorgan . Yes, downloaded the latest from the site, and ran "pimpup" immediately.

• @ldemorgan. I am very much Noob on Pimp, I downloaded it a few days ago, and see I downloaded V2.4.2-all, and then ran pimpup.....not sure if that updates to 2.5.

I will download 2.5-all this evening and try that and confirm.

• Developer

@slvorster

We here to help where we can Slvorester - yes please try 2.5-all and let us know how you get on.

• I'm having the same issue. Just updated PiMP to the most recent as of today. Tried the command above but nothing changed.

• Developer

@ryen-masters

Hello Ryen,

What error message do you receive? - Is it the "error connecting to 5900"?

Many thanks

• @ldemorgan. Ok. I have re-imaged my drive with a fresh copy of 2.5-all. I first ran it in a small nvidia rig, and can access the directly connected GUI, a RDP GUI, and SSH. I have taken that same drive to my AMD rig. it starts up and then stops at the following screen, with multiple "Invalid PCI ROM Header".

0_1519756082077_amd error.jpg

. I cannot access the RDP either, but I can access via SSH, and start a miner successfully....

Any guidance will be appreciated.

• Hello @ldemorgan -
    Yes,
    “Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 5900”. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Developer

@slvorster

Hello Slvorster,

Sorry for my late reply - yes dev team have been notified, and when I receive an update, I will let you know via this forum thread.

Thanks for your continued support.
    Best, Louis

• Thank you Louis

I will wait for your reply before I try again.

Kind regards

• Hey. I'm having the exact same issue. I've tried running "systemctl start lightdm && systemctl start --user pimpvnc". It runs correctly (no error) but connecting via RDP gives the "Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 5900" message.

• @ldemorgan thanks for your help!

• This post is deleted!

• Hi, I'm running version 2.5-all also and I can't remote connect either. When I run " helpme " this is the screen dump output;

● lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-03-15 14:53:35 EDT; 7h ago
    Docs: man:lightdm(1)
    Process: 920 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/lightdm (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Process: 916 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$(basename $(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null))" = "lightdm" ] (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 920 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

• Hi guys,
    I have the same issue with starting PiMP VNC service:

[/root]:# systemctl --user status pimpvnc.service
    ● pimpvnc.service - PiMP VNC Service
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/user/pimpvnc.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-03-28 22:17:15 CEST; 1h 6min ago
    Process: 6227 ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -v -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nopw -logappend /var/log/pimpvnc.log (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 6227 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 28 22:17:12 pimp2 systemd[818]: pimpvnc.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Mar 28 22:17:12 pimp2 systemd[818]: pimpvnc.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Mar 28 22:17:15 pimp2 systemd[818]: pimpvnc.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    Mar 28 22:17:15 pimp2 systemd[818]: Stopped PiMP VNC Service.
    Mar 28 22:17:15 pimp2 systemd[818]: pimpvnc.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Mar 28 22:17:15 pimp2 systemd[818]: Failed to start PiMP VNC Service.

then I tried to run VNC command as root:
    (ExecStart string used in the /etc/systemd/user/pimpvnc.service)

[/root]:# /usr/bin/x11vnc -v -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nopw -logappend /var/log/pimpvnc.log
    PORT=5901
    …it had been running fine

The x11vnc have a problem to read "auth file" when it launched under "pimp" user :
    [/root]:# ls -al /var/run/lightdm/root/
    total 4
    drwx------ 2 root root 60 Mar 28 10:00 .
    drwx--x--x 3 root root 60 Mar 27 02:34 ..
    -rw------- 1 root root 50 Mar 27 10:52 :0

please consider to correct directory/file rights..?

• Staff

We do not provide a 'pimp' user, all operations on a pimp rig are performed from the root account.

• Staff

This vnc issue was fixed 3 pimpups ago. If not, reimage using the latest image for your GPUs and run pimpup.

• Folks,
    I have upgraded to pimp 2.8.6. I have an ASROCK BTC Mobo. If I run 7+ AMD XFX 580s, xrdp fails to start. If I have seven or less xrdp will run. The rig will run normally with 7+ GPUs, but no console screen or Remote Desktop, but ssh works. I have tried running the referenced commands above but no process stays connects to the vnc port 5900.

• Staff

Hi, This is a limitation of the amdgpu-pro driver and/or your motherboard's pcie enumeration under linux. If you want to run a rig with 7+ AMD GPU then you simply use miner.farm and ssh to access the rig. There is no GUI function that cannot be done via SSH. We even include pbec the polaris bios editor for console! :)

• Thank you for the quick reply.

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2012-2019 Portable Instant Mining Platform LLC. All rights Reserved.