Welcome to the PiMP Mining Community Forum.

Coin/crypto news, miner.farm and getpimp.org announcements, guides, and tips.

Problem with RDP/VNC

• Developer

@slvorster

Is this using the latest Pimp OS version 2.5-all?
    Many thanks

• Developer

@me5

Thank you Me.

For the 'Cannot RDP (error connecting to 5900)", there is a workaround that worked for previous version of Pimp OS. Could you ssh in and run the following command please "systemctl start lightdm && systemctl start --user pimpvnc" - then RDP in.

Let me know if this helps.

Louis

• @ldemorgan
    command line returns:

Job for pimpvnc.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl --user status pimpvnc.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

systemctl --user status pimpvnc.service gives:

Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/user/pimpvnc.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-02-25 09:08:16 EST; 40s ago
    Process: 4174 ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -v -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nopw -logappend /var/log/pim
    Main PID: 4174 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Feb 25 09:08:16 pimp2 systemd[3967]: pimpvnc.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    Feb 25 09:08:16 pimp2 systemd[3967]: Stopped PiMP VNC Service.
    Feb 25 09:08:16 pimp2 systemd[3967]: pimpvnc.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Feb 25 09:08:16 pimp2 systemd[3967]: Failed to start PiMP VNC Service.

journalctl -xe gives:

Feb 25 09:10:46 pimp2 systemd[3967]: pimpvnc.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Feb 25 09:10:46 pimp2 systemd[3967]: pimpvnc.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Feb 25 09:10:46 pimp2 systemd[3967]: pimpvnc.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Feb 25 09:10:48 pimp2 systemd[3967]: pimpvnc.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    Feb 25 09:10:48 pimp2 systemd[3967]: Stopped PiMP VNC Service.
    -- Subject: Unit UNIT has finished shutting down

• Developer

@me5 said in Problem with RDP/VNC:

pimpvnc.service failed because the control process exited with error code

Thank you Me for running the command and pasting the error output, I will pass this onto dev team to look into.

• @ldemorgan . Yes, downloaded the latest from the site, and ran "pimpup" immediately.

• @ldemorgan. I am very much Noob on Pimp, I downloaded it a few days ago, and see I downloaded V2.4.2-all, and then ran pimpup.....not sure if that updates to 2.5.

I will download 2.5-all this evening and try that and confirm.

• Developer

@slvorster

We here to help where we can Slvorester - yes please try 2.5-all and let us know how you get on.

• I'm having the same issue. Just updated PiMP to the most recent as of today. Tried the command above but nothing changed.

• Developer

@ryen-masters

Hello Ryen,

What error message do you receive? - Is it the "error connecting to 5900"?

Many thanks

• @ldemorgan. Ok. I have re-imaged my drive with a fresh copy of 2.5-all. I first ran it in a small nvidia rig, and can access the directly connected GUI, a RDP GUI, and SSH. I have taken that same drive to my AMD rig. it starts up and then stops at the following screen, with multiple "Invalid PCI ROM Header".

0_1519756082077_amd error.jpg

. I cannot access the RDP either, but I can access via SSH, and start a miner successfully....

Any guidance will be appreciated.

• Hello @ldemorgan -
    Yes,
    “Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 5900”. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Developer

@slvorster

Hello Slvorster,

Sorry for my late reply - yes dev team have been notified, and when I receive an update, I will let you know via this forum thread.

Thanks for your continued support.
    Best, Louis

• Thank you Louis

I will wait for your reply before I try again.

Kind regards

• Hey. I'm having the exact same issue. I've tried running "systemctl start lightdm && systemctl start --user pimpvnc". It runs correctly (no error) but connecting via RDP gives the "Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 5900" message.

• @ldemorgan thanks for your help!

• This post is deleted!

• Hi, I'm running version 2.5-all also and I can't remote connect either. When I run " helpme " this is the screen dump output;

● lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-03-15 14:53:35 EDT; 7h ago
    Docs: man:lightdm(1)
    Process: 920 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/lightdm (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Process: 916 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$(basename $(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null))" = "lightdm" ] (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 920 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Mar 15 14:53:35 pimp2 systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

• Hi guys,
    I have the same issue with starting PiMP VNC service:

[/root]:# systemctl --user status pimpvnc.service
    ● pimpvnc.service - PiMP VNC Service
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/user/pimpvnc.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-03-28 22:17:15 CEST; 1h 6min ago
    Process: 6227 ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -v -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nopw -logappend /var/log/pimpvnc.log (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 6227 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 28 22:17:12 pimp2 systemd[818]: pimpvnc.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Mar 28 22:17:12 pimp2 systemd[818]: pimpvnc.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Mar 28 22:17:15 pimp2 systemd[818]: pimpvnc.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    Mar 28 22:17:15 pimp2 systemd[818]: Stopped PiMP VNC Service.
    Mar 28 22:17:15 pimp2 systemd[818]: pimpvnc.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Mar 28 22:17:15 pimp2 systemd[818]: Failed to start PiMP VNC Service.

then I tried to run VNC command as root:
    (ExecStart string used in the /etc/systemd/user/pimpvnc.service)

[/root]:# /usr/bin/x11vnc -v -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nopw -logappend /var/log/pimpvnc.log
    PORT=5901
    …it had been running fine

The x11vnc have a problem to read "auth file" when it launched under "pimp" user :
    [/root]:# ls -al /var/run/lightdm/root/
    total 4
    drwx------ 2 root root 60 Mar 28 10:00 .
    drwx--x--x 3 root root 60 Mar 27 02:34 ..
    -rw------- 1 root root 50 Mar 27 10:52 :0

please consider to correct directory/file rights..?

• Staff

We do not provide a 'pimp' user, all operations on a pimp rig are performed from the root account.

• Staff

This vnc issue was fixed 3 pimpups ago. If not, reimage using the latest image for your GPUs and run pimpup.

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2012-2019 Portable Instant Mining Platform LLC. All rights Reserved.