<- Return to getpimp.org

What is AMDPtune?

• Hi!

I am confused about AMDPTune. I googled about but nearly nothing is found.
    Everyone talks about -50/+50 to tune the amd cards. Where does AMDPtune come from? any more information about it?

• Staff

Hey @wesrig, great question! This is part of the overclocking capabilities of AMDGPU cards.

AMD PowerTune is a trademark for a series of dynamic frequency scaling technologies built into some AMD GPUs and APUs that allow the clock speed of the processor to be dynamically changed (to different P-states) by software. This allows the processor to meet the instantaneous performance needs of the operation being performed, while minimizing power draw, heat generation and noise. AMD PowerTune aims to solve thermal design power and performance constraints.[1]

Besides the reduced energy consumption, AMD PowerTune helps to lower the noise levels created by the cooling in desktop computers, and extends battery life in mobile devices. AMD PowerTune is the successor to AMD PowerPlay.[2]

For more details:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_PowerTune

• so to add to this question. The default setting for AMDpowertune is 7. If i were to change this value to 6 would i be utilizing less power or more. Or am i understanding melt's answer the wrong way.

• I'm wondering the same thing. I don't see much of a performance difference, if any, when changing the value.

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2017 PiMP LLC. All rights Reserved.

Looks like your connection to PiMP Support Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.