How to write the PiMP OS Image using Linux or Mac OSX

• Staff

This post will guide you to write the PiMP OS image to a SATA or USB connected SSD or HDD using a Linux terminal.

These instructions work on most linux flavors such as Debian/Ubuntu and Redhat/Fedora as well as Apple Mac OS X using the Terminal. (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal)

Connecting the target disk:

If you are connecting via SATA directly, power your computer off and connect the target PIMP disk to the system. If you have the PIMP SSD/HDD connected with a USB dock/adapter, you can connect it any time.

1. Change directory to where you downloaded the pimp .zip file (about 5gb)

2. Extract the contents of the zip file using the command: unzip pimp-2.3-rc3-amdgpu.zip

3. After this, there will be a single file with the same name but with .img instead of .zip, as well as a .sha1sum checksum file and some imaging utilities for Windows users. This will take about 10 minutes or so depending on your CPU, and will require about 16 GB of space.

[photo]

Each disk in a linux system generally will be listed in hardware order like: /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc. Usually the /dev/sda is the boot drive.

1. To see what drives are found in your system you can do the following commands:

dmesg | grep sd
    fdisk -l | grep sd

Most likely your Ubuntu OS is on the first disk, /dev/sda, and you will be writing to the second disk, /dev/sdb.

for OSX, to find an attached disk, use the command :

diskutil list

/dev/disk6 (disk image): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme +1.0 GB disk6 1: Apple_HFS VMware Fusion 1.0 GB disk6s1

And then use the disk# part only. example:

On OSX use a LOWER CASE m!
    sudo dd if=pimp-2.3-rc3-amdgpu.img of=/dev/disk6 bs=4m

WARNING: This is a DESTRUCTIVE ACT.

All data on the target disk you are writing to will be written over without ANY hope of recovery. Do not write to the wrong disk!!!

1. To write the image to the target disk:

Example if the target disk is /dev/sdb:

For Debian LINUX, use an UPPER CASE M!
    dd if=pimp-2.3-rc3-amdgpu.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

The 4M is the block size. This helps the image write faster.

Nothing will show on the screen until it is done. When it is done (about 10-20 minutes usually) it will return to the prompt.

[photo]

1. Power off if needed, and take the target PIMP disk and put it in the rig. Now the disk is ready. Boot the rig and you're on to the next step: validate the key.

Next step: Entering the Key for the First Boot

• I have tried writing the image through Debian 9 Stretch but when booting from my new Pimp drive I got a 'fsck exited with status code 8'. Target filesystem doesn't have requested sbin/init.'

And then I get a prompt for (initramfs) ?

This is on Pimp 1.9 which I have to use because of older Graphics cards. Can you please provide support?

• Staff

@kiwirig Your image was not written successfully. Please try writing your image again.

• @lily said in How to write the PiMP OS Image using Linux or Mac OSX:

@kiwirig Your image was not written successfully. Please try writing your image again.

Hi @lily thanks for getting back to me. I have re-written the image four times using the instructions provided for Linux systems. I have also tried to pre-partition the SSD drive using several filesystems to see if that makes a difference. Unfortunately, I still get the same error as mentioned in my screen print. I appreciate your help on this matter.

*using Pimp 1.9 image on a SSD, writing from Debian 9 Stretch.

• Staff

Please use a different imaging method, as the one you are currently using is clearly not working correctly. Thanks.

• Staff

When I try to burn an image more than once... and it still fails.. I might do somethings like check the CRC for the image (we are hashing fools after all, might as well check the hash of the image). Perhaps fetch a new copy and try that?

• @lily said in How to write the PiMP OS Image using Linux or Mac OSX:

Please use a different imaging method, as the one you are currently using is clearly not working correctly. Thanks.

Which Linux imaging method would you recommend?

• @daanjin said in How to write the PiMP OS Image using Linux or Mac OSX:

When I try to burn an image more than once... and it still fails.. I might do somethings like check the CRC for the image (we are hashing fools after all, might as well check the hash of the image). Perhaps fetch a new copy and try that?

I am downloading a fresh 1.9 image each time. Thanks

• about to give up on this ..will not write properly .... I guess I will find something that work to do the job ..no joy here

• Support

• On macOS you can use Etcher which is GUI tool similar to Rufus on Windows.
    After extracting the archive
    unzip pimp-2.4.1-all.zip
    inflating: pimp-2.4.1-all.img
    Download and install Etcher
    Attach drive via USB (Apricorn Satawire 2.5 USB 3)
    Then use Etcher to select the img file and burn it.

• Staff

From Ubuntu: It took about 5 minutes to write.

┌[root@sig] [/dev/pts/1]
    └[~]> time dd if=releases/pimp-2.5-all.img of=/dev/sdb bs=16M
    954+1 records in
    954+1 records out
    16013942784 bytes (16 GB, 15 GiB) copied, 316.173 s, 50.6 MB/s
    dd if=releases/pimp-2.5-all.img of=/dev/sdb bs=16M  0.01s user 43.44s system 13% cpu 5:16.20 total
    ┌[root@sig] [/dev/pts/1]
    └[~]>

• This post is deleted!

• Staff

please note that you are doing nothing with the extra DD but burn disk space and add another step where bits can be corrupted.

• Heads up, when specifying bs=4M I was being given
    dd: bs: illegal numeric value
    If you come across this issue, try using bs=4m (apparently capitalization mattered for me). This is confusing given melt's screenshot above uses 16M (and not 16m) but worth noting.

• Hi . I try to install pimp-1.9.31-fglrx.img on linux 16.04 Xenial Xerus . I try this : unzip pimp-2.3-rc3-amdgpu.zip in my terminal but nothink is work ? can you help me . Thanks Guys

• Staff

nicolman:

1. Use current supported version of pimp. Login and Download from getpimp.org.
    2. Follow the instructions above.
    3. If you get an error, show a screenshot or paste so we can see what it is.

• Staff

@eyaltoledano said in How to write the PiMP OS Image using Linux or Mac OSX:

Heads up, when specifying bs=4M I was being given
    dd: bs: illegal numeric value
    If you come across this issue, try using bs=4m (apparently capitalization mattered for me). This is confusing given melt's screenshot above uses 16M (and not 16m) but worth noting.

@eyaltoledano on mac it is a lowercase. On Linux it is a capital.

• @melt ok

• @melt I try this : ram@ram-desktop:~$ unzip pimp-2.5.1.zip
    unzip: cannot find or open pimp-2.5.1.zip, pimp-2.5.1.zip.zip or pimp-2.5.1.zip.ZIP.
    ram@ram-desktop:~$

• Staff

use ls and cd commands to find where you downloaded it?
    Just guessing here.....

ls
    cd Downloads
    ls -l

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2017 PiMP LLC. All rights Reserved.

Looks like your connection to PiMP Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.