Miner.farm Crypto Currency Community Forum

Browse and post your favorite coin/crypto news, miner.farm and PiMP OS updates and announcements, mining guides, overclocking tips, and more...

Note: To change your forum username: login, click your avatar icon (top right?), Edit Profile. Change the "full name" field to your preferred username.

Quick Links

ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `/usr/bin/nvidia-settings --help` for usage information.

• hello pimps, we've got a problem here
    please help

when I run gputool --config I get errors and am unable to get the config file to loat up on all gpus. switching the number and location of gpus doesn't really do much but on some of my rigs I am able to get more gpus to load the config but none will load after one fails and gets this error.
    see below for command output

[Agent: H07339 (Running) Total HR: [350.90Mh/s] Miners running [1] GPUs [AAAA]]
    [06:53 PM][Uptime: 0d 0:51][root@pimp3(192.168.88.114)]
    [/root]:# stop 1
    Miner stopped.
    [Agent: H07339 (Running) Total HR: [351.09Mh/s] Miners running [1] GPUs [AAAA]]
    [06:53 PM][Uptime: 0d 0:52][root@pimp3(192.168.88.114)]
    [/root]:# gputool --config
    PIMP GPU Tool v20210408
    GPUs type: NVI
    Conf file loaded, configuring 4 GPUs..
    GPU 0: NVI, busid 02:00.0
    GPU 0: PowerLimit set to 220 W
    GPU 0: Core speed offset is -100
    GPU 0: Memory speed offset is 1200
    GPU 1: NVI, busid 04:00.0
    GPU 1: PowerLimit set to 220 W
    GPU 1: ! Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run /usr/bin/nvidia-settings --help for usage information.

ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run /usr/bin/nvidia-settings --help for usage information.

GPU 2: NVI, busid 07:00.0
    GPU 2: PowerLimit set to 220 W
    GPU 2: ! Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

GPU 3: NVI, busid 08:00.0
    GPU 3: PowerLimit set to 220 W
    GPU 3: ! Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

[Agent: H07339 (Running) Total HR: [0.00Kh/s] Miners running [0] GPUs [none active]]
    [06:53 PM][Uptime: 0d 0:52][root@pimp3(192.168.88.114)]
    [/root]:# gputool --config
    PIMP GPU Tool v20210408
    GPUs type: NVI
    Conf file loaded, configuring 4 GPUs..
    GPU 0: NVI, busid 02:00.0
    GPU 0: PowerLimit set to 220 W
    GPU 0: Core speed offset is -100
    GPU 0: Memory speed offset is 1200
    GPU 1: NVI, busid 04:00.0
    GPU 1: PowerLimit set to 220 W

GPU 2: NVI, busid 07:00.0
    GPU 2: PowerLimit set to 220 W

GPU 3: NVI, busid 08:00.0
    GPU 3: PowerLimit set to 220 W

• i STILL have the same issue on ALL 5 of my rigs..... i hope they do something soon

• Staff

Hi , sorry that your post was not replied in a timely fashion. This error means your nvidia was not picked up by the GUI which is needed for nvidia cards.
    Most likely it's a cable/riser/power issue, try this process, https://forum.getpimp.org/topic/53/the-dance-physical-hardware-troubleshooting G

TLDR: Break the rig down to one working GPU and build it up one by one, using the gputool --status and or gputool --reset

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

© 2014-2021 Miner.farm | By Miners, For Miners | Portable Instant Mining Platform, LLC