<- Return to getpimp.org

How to Write the PiMP OS Image using Windows

• Staff

To start, you'll need a copy of HDDRawCopy

Note: You can also write the image from Windows with DMDE program. See below comments section for a guide from our Testing/Support team member, blackice!

After you've successfully installed the program, you should see this screen:

Select the correct file, click continue and find the OS image file.

Click open, then select it and press continue for the next step.

A new window should pop up that says "TARGET" across the top.

On this screen, you will selet the SSD or HDD that will go in your rig. If you are unsure which drive to pick, open your explorer and go to THIS PC (Windows 10) and look for the drive there.

For this example, we are going to work with the disk drive "test", which is Drive G:. We take the drive letter (G) and find it in the HDDRawCopy tool.

Select the drive, and click continue. A new screen will pop up with a Start button. When you are sure that your source and your target are correct, click Start.

A warning will popup, the computer asking for you to confirm because everything that was on the disk will be overwritten. If you are sure, click yes.

The process will begin, and it is important that you do not close the program or turn off the PC until the process is complete. When the program is done writing the image to the disk, you should see task complete and a 100% complete

Once the process is complete, you may shut down the program, turn off your PC, and once everything is powered down, you can remove the SSD or HDD and put that disk in your rig. Boot the rig using the drive that you wrote from your workstation.

• Support

Also, if you do not succeed with HDDRawCopy, you can use an excellent tool - DMDE.

Push Tools -> Copy Sectors... or just a combination of Alt + W buttons on the keyboard.

As a source, you must select .img file of PiMP OS.

It will look like this:

You must select a physical Device as the destination.

Attention! You need to select an empty Physical Device, specially connected to the PC to record PiMP image and not any other :) Well, now you can click Ok.

You must confirm the overwriting by clicking Yes

Just wait a few minutes.

Congratulations! SSD with your fresh pimp is looking forward to connect in your new shiny rig!

Enjoy $)

• Staff

Do not forget to unmount, eject, close that drive!

Remember that you want a CLEAN image. That means close the drive out before removing it from the imaging machine. Normally, you would use the OS tools to 'Eject' or ''Unmount' the drive from your operating system. This closes up device, flushes the buffers, and makes sure its all nice and tidy. We have noted a number of folks with license key issues after a fresh image because the drive is dirty on boot. So take the extra step here and make sure you 'Eject' and/or 'Unmount' the imaged drive!

• I'm not a novice with linux how ever I've tried everything listed here, including fresh formats and etc etc multiple different combos to get a copy working how ever I'm not having very much success... have tried using different storage systems ie ssd , sd, usb , have trying different methods ie dmde, hdd, rufus etc etc. and multiple different variateions. any help ?

• Support

@jdbgo2shop Hello.
    And what is your issue? Can you make post in Troubleshooting section https://forum.getpimp.org/category/8/troubleshooting with logs, errors, screenshots etc.? This will help to understand the problem and solve it. Thanks.

• Staff

Sometimes, we try to hard :). The process is simple. Just bit for bit copy the image to an ssd. All the methods you are trying above place an image with a boot agent. Think more along the lines of how you would make a raspberry pi bootable sd card, vs burning a live iso to a thumb drive.

• This post is deleted!

• Staff

Here is an alternative method using win32diskimager. This works for disks that are connected via USB and already have a drive letter visible to Windows.

Run the exe:

If it sees the drive letter, make sure it is the right one!!!! And then pick the pimp img file that you unzipped and then click Write.

Anything other than this? It didn't write properly....

• Can I put it on a thumb drive in windows then boot that on my rig and put it on the ssd in the rig so it boots from there?

• Support

@doug You can juggle an image as you like. But you need to write it down in one of the recommended ways.

• This post is deleted!

• I did exactly as prescribed over here (btw my 16gb wasn't big enough, had to buy 32 gb!) and then I tried to boot my asus b250 mining expert (having enabled compatibility boot in Bios - I know that much!) and it won't boot at all... Why??!
    There are no messages. It just won't boot. The hard drive is visible under UEFI bios and it is recognised as bootable.

• Staff

Some cheap 16GB SSDs are not really 16GB. Like Kingdian is really only 15.8 or so.

When it doesn't boot at all, there can be so many possible things. We will need more information on how your BIOS is setup etc. Would recommend following some of the many well written guides on setting up the BIOS for PiMP.

Then post the values for those settings if you are having further issues. Double check all the wiring, etc. Reduce things down to just one GPU to start.

Want 10% more hash from your rigs?

We promise to keep your email safe and never spam you.

Copyright (c) 2017 PiMP LLC. All rights Reserved.

Looks like your connection to PiMP Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.